Wednesday 11 January 2012

The need to be loved

What do we most want in life?
We want to be loved.
We want to be special,
to be wanted,
to be respected, admired,
thought highly of -
to be loved.


We may do many things
to try to achieve this goal:
lose weight,
dress differently,
buy things,
study.
But basically what we are saying is
“I’m special too! I deserve to be loved.”Yet we are all special.
We are all created by and for love.
Why then do we spend so much time,
energy,
money
trying to deserve love?

Take me..
in my dreams I want to be
some special kind of ‘holy’ person.
Someone who is wise, all - knowing.
Someone who is peaceful and contented.
Someone who is admired and respected
for her ‘goodness’ and serenity.
Someone who is just a little bit
different from the ordinary
in the way she dresses, acts
and thinks.
What am I doing?
The same as everyone else -
“I’m different from you.
I’m more special than you.
Surely I deserve to be loved?”

Child,
You are special,
You are loved.
You don’t have to earn it
by being the best at anything.
You don’t have to be slim
and beautiful.
You don’t have to be intellectual
or rich.
You don’t have to dress
or behave in a certain way.
You just have to be.


You are loved
because you are.
Walk in my love,
bathe in my love,
bask in love’s glory.

Be love
in all you are
and all you do.

You are loved,
you are the child of Love
and so is all around you.

Love
and be loved.
That is the foundation of being.
LOVE.

28th May 96


My late husband (Why 'late'? What a strange term!) with our daughter, many years ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment