Friday 10 February 2012

Bad weather feelings

This is also on my other blog http://hawthornespatchwork.blogspot.com/ so apologies to those who've already seen it.


On a windy, rainy night
(Prayer of an undiagnosed S.A.D. sufferer)

Lord,
forgive me the times
I let fear get the better of me -
when a grey day makes me feel gloomy,
when the wind’s roaring scares me,
when the darkness outside as night approaches
seeps into my mind also.

Help me not to let
these natural things affect my moods,
remembering that You created them,
You caused them to be,
You set the rules for them.
Let me instead
rejoice in the variety of weather
You have made,
the turning of the seasons,
the circle of day and night,
seeing them in their wholeness and balance
with daytime, sunshine, and calmness.

Help me to learn from them, Lord,
the lessons You can teach;
that darkness and bad weather
don’t last forever -
the sun will come again
and that we need sun and rain
to grow strong and tall.

And,
if I cannot do either of these Lord,
hold my hand
and sit with me
until the moods pass
and I am myself again.
Amen.

21st March 1999

No comments:

Post a Comment